Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Life of Samuel Johnson - James Boswell
A great book, an instructive book. It contains much wisdom about life, it concerns itself with lofty matters; it’s intelligent, it’s dignified. All these qualities are aspects of the character of Samuel Johnson. Boswell built the book around that man talking. Just his words! Johnson lives: frank and more honest than most humans dare to be; prejudiced, humorous, vulnerable, argumentative, bullying, tender – the descriptive terms can go on and on. But I love the man – as, clearly, did Boswell. *

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
There’s talent galore in these pages, but it was untempered. The book was, in the beginning, bright and new. But a pattern set in: Franzen would embark on a section with one of the characters – and it would be good at first, really good – but it would go on too long; first satiation would set in, then it would turn tedious; then I felt a kind of repulsion, because the characters are all weird, unhappy, sick. It’s as if I had been served a wonderful appetizer, a good soup, then wound up eating a long, fatty sausage. It reached a point where something inside me rebelled and I simply could not bear to take another bite.

The Feast of Love - Charles Baxter
I liked the first three chapters – the clarity, the originality – but the problem lay in the characters. As time went by I came to dislike all of them and didn’t want to hear about their miserable relationships. (Yes, the feast of love produces a lot of bellyaches.) There’s something pretentious in writing overtly about love; one takes the stance of having some special wisdom. And sex scenes turn me off – all this banging around. When a particularly ugly-spirited woman, Diane, has her epiphany about love, I had enough.

Voss - Patrick White
I nearly finished this. White is a difficult writer. Reading him is labor. The question remains, is it still worthwhile? Well, yes. He offers up unique virtues, and I believe he writes out of conviction. What failed for me is that his conviction – a belief in a transcendent, spiritual significance permeating the world – is something I don’t believe in. He could have convinced me, at least on his terms, but he didn’t. Mainly because White’s prose confuses most when trying to describe that transcendent state.

2 comments:

kmoomo said...

Regarding Feast of Love, I saw the movie. I was wondering if (and hoping that) the book was better. But from your review, it seems like the book was just as disappointing as the movie and for all the same reasons. Sad to hear because I DID enjoy his collection of short stories entitled Through The Safety Net.

Phillip Routh said...

"Safety Net" was a terrific story. I'll try that short story collection.
I didn't know that they had made a movie of Feast. I won't be trying that.